Lets Talk About Sports Therapy And Rehabilitation

Maria asks…

How to write a personal statement for university?

i am a sports student hoping to go to university next october to study sports therapy / rehabilitation, i need to write a personal statement but i have no idea how to start it or what to say, so please any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated

admin answers:

A personal statement usually includes the following. You need a good attention grabber. In general you want your essay to follow this order:

Paragraph 1-2 attention grabber. Think of an experience in your life that really showcases who you are. Be detailed. Discuss something significant in your life. It could be anything. Or discuss why you want to be in your profession or what story inspired you to study what you are studying.

Paragraph 3-4. Highlight your academics: GPA, classes. What skills you learned in class that will help in succeeding in college. Awards and honors that you have received. Sports or clubs that you are in.

Paragraph 5. Jobs that you have had that relate to your major? Any other things about yourself that you want to include

Paragraph 6: Conclusion. In this conclusion you may want to re-state your main qualifications. You can also include any of the following statements: My goal is…. I deserve this scholarship because….

I will edit it for you if you email it to me

Daniel asks…

What kind of qualifications do I need to work with people with acquired brain injuries?

I am currently undertaking a Ba Applied social studies is social care degree and I hope to qualify for the honours degree next year. Following this degree i am unsure what I need in order to work with people with acquired brain injuries. I was looking at a course (Bsc) in Sports rehabilitation and Athletic therapy or a higher certificate in Physiology and health science.

Would either of these courses assist me in gaining employment with people with Acquired brain injuries? Or what other courses/ qualifications would help me!

admin answers:

It may be possible to work with people with ABI without any formal qualifications, as you could possibly secure a position as say a support worker in a rehabilitation hospital, day service or even in people’s own homes. This type of work can vary from aspects like personal care to assisting professionals in implementing therapy programs. Having a social care degree would be very beneficial to this type of work, even if it is not always an essential prerequisite.

A few other areas of professional careers in ABI are:

Speech therapy: requires an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification in speech therapy.

Physiotherapy: requires a physiotherapy degree.

Nursing: requires a nursing degree

Clinical psychology: requires undergrad and postgrad (doctoral) qualifications in psychology

Clinical Neuropsychologist: requires postdoctoral qualifications in neuropsychology.

Neuroscientist: requires neuroscience degree.

Occupational therapy: requires occupational therapy degree.

Many of the professions that work within the ABI field need to be registered with the Health Professions Council and so you ‘may’ need to complete qualifications that are HPC accredited. However, completing a subject such as sports rehab and athletic therapy may lead onto work in ABI, but if you are interested in the physical side of the rehabilitation process it may also be worthwhile looking into physiotherapy, as this is an applied practitioner degree that may give you options to specialise in ABI.

Good luck!

Mandy asks…

Aqua Therapy for Dogs and Other Pets?

Has anyone used hydrotherapy / aqua therapy for Rehabilitation and or Sports conditioning or other conditioning for your dog or other pets? If so do you have any opinion on it’s effectiveness and is it worth it ? How much have you paid for it? How often have you used it? Do you do it yourself or have it done at a facility? Do you prefer swimming in a pool, swimming in a pond, exercising on an aqua treadmill or a combination.
Thank You for All of your answers I have decided this is a service I am interested in.

admin answers:

My friend has a dog recovering from surgery after being hit by a car. She goes to a place recommended by her vet twice a week. The facility is exclusively for injured dogs and has its own indoor pool. You have to get your dog a dog life jacket to wear for hydrotherapy. My friend pays around $30 per hour session but she had a discount as she booked 20 sessions. Her dog loves it and is making a very good recovery. Ask your vet to recommend somewhere and check the place out yourself.

Helen asks…

Work Visa for 3 month internship?

Ive been accepted into an internship in Kentucky, and I live in Canada.
The internship is at KESMARC, (you can google it for more information) a huge sport horse therapy/rehabilitation center. They say that international applicants need work visas, But I am very confused about this!
Just some info about me, Im 18, and have just graduated high school. Im doing the internship in preparation to go to college to become a vet tech, and then I will specialize In Equines.
The Internship I will be doing is UNPAID, I will be living in an apartment over the stables. During the internship I will be doing things like monitoring horses, assisting vets/farriers/dentists, etc, administering meds, changing bandages, feeding, exercising, and using the aquatread, swimming pool, and other equipment like that.
In my acceptance email from Kesmarc, they told me about www.caep.org , and said that seems to be a popular organization. But as I was reading it I was a little confused, it said you needed to do things such as write and autobiography for yourself, and get 2 reference letters. But I am already accepted for my internship?
The email Kesmarc sent me said,
Work Visa

For our international interns, you are responsible for obtaining your work visa. As we do not directly sponsor interns, you will need to go through an organization that specializes in international internships. They will sponsor you and serve as the intermediate between you and Kesmarc.

There are a number of such organizations that are reputable. One that has been used frequently in the past is CAEP. If you are interested in obtaining more information regarding their services, please visit their website www.caep.org or contact their Equine Coordinator, Mrs. Gudrun Williamson, directly at gudrun@cainc.org.

Now I am even more confused! Kesmarc makes it very clear that its an unpaid internship, but this CAEP site says they say “they will sponsor you”, and the website says they give a minimum of $700 a month for their work visa thingies.

Do I Need a sponsor? What is the point?

and what Kind of Visa would I need to stay working at an unpaid intership in the states, when Im from Canada, and I only have a high school education.


admin answers:

It sounds like they want you to obtain a J-1 visa, not a work visa.

There are a limited number of agencies that are allowed to sponsor you for a J-1 visa. You will need to apply for a sponsorship (with CAEP or whichever agency you want) and then the sponsor agency will place you in an internship. It sounds like you’re doing it backwards, but that’s not a big deal. Think of it like working for a temp agency – you are employed by the temp agency (in this case, CAEP) and they send you to actually do work for someone else (Kesmarc) but the temp agency is still in charge of you and still pays you.

You will not be able to obtain a visa unless you also obtain a sponsor. There are no other visas available for someone in your situation. Applying for a sponsorship is completely separate from applying for the internship. Be aware you will *also* need to apply for the visa once you’ve secured sponsorship.

The US government does this to avoid abuse of the J-1 visa system – and trust me, even with all these safeguards it is tremendously abused anyway.

Read the government J-1 website I’ve linked below for more information. I am sure if you contact the woman at CAEP she will be happy to explain it to you as well.

Lisa asks…

Which is correct for this statement?

area’s or areas or areas’

The [areas] leader in sports rehabilitation and physical therapy

admin answers:

If you want to split hairs, I don’t believe any ‘area’ is correct in this sentence. Here, the word ‘area’ would seem to be describing which ‘leader’ in question; in other words, ‘area’ is being used as an adjective. The adjectival form of area is areal. So, I would say that the correct sentence should read as follows: “The areal leader in sports rehabilitation and physical therapy…” because the focus in on the leader, not the area.

Using areal may seem snobbish since we don’t commonly use it. Unless you’re audience is comprised of English literary types, I would use the word area without any ‘s’ attached. You don’t want to indicate that it’s the area itself that has ownership, or that there’s more than one area being considered.

Paul asks…

What classes should i take if i want to be something in Sports Medicine?

I’m in 10th going to be in 11th
I can take physical therapy/Rehabilitation and EMT classes at a community college or i can the classes that are offered at my high school please help i need to know by the 20th

admin answers:

If you plan on becoming a physical therapy ASSISTANT or EMT, I would certainly take the classes offered by your CC. (Yet, if these are classes to become a PT “tech” I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it…you can become a PT tech without any formal training.) However, if you actually hope to become a physical therapist, or athletic trainer, I would simply continue to take courses at your high school that would be required into admission to a four year university. Four years of science and English are ideal and at lest three of math. If you will be required to take a foreign language at your college, you can sometimes clep out of this by taking four years in high school.

Focus on college admission requirements now if you hope to obtain something beyond an associate’s degree.

Steven asks…

Becoming a doctor of sports med specializing in rehabilitation and injury prevention. What degrees needed?

My plan is to become a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT). On the way to getting that I want to get my Athletic Training license. I want to eventually open a rehabilitation clinic that treats injuries and prevents injuries through athletic training. I feel like I should 1) have my DPT 2) have my AT 3) have a degree or certification in personal training and exercise science.

Can anyone find any flaws, changes that need to be made, or additions that need to be added to this plan?

*Please know what you’re talking about* i.e. sports medicine profession.

admin answers:

Take your athletic training degree as your undergraduate degree and take any extra courses you need as the PT prerequisites. After you near completion of the ATC degree, you will apply to PT school. After you are done with your DPT (or after your finish your ATC degree), sit for the Certified Strength and Conditioning specialist exam…and don’t worry about becoming a personal trainer.

Realistically, the only thing you REALLY need is the DPT degree…you can get your BS in ATC, but could have it in anything really. Being a DPT will make you perfectly qualified to own your own clinic. Although perhaps I would consider a business degree as your undergraduate and simply take your PT prerequisites on the side. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

After several years of experience, you’ll likely have the comfort and established clientel as a therapist to open your own clinic.

Michael asks…

Would prenatal care be listed under any of these catagories?

General practice ?
Pediatrics ?

Show all clinic services…
Acupuncture ?
Allergy and immunology ?
Audiology (hearing care) ?
Cancer care (oncology) ?
Cardiovascular disease ?
Chiropractic care ?
Chronic pain management ?
Dermatology (skin care) ?
Diabetes education ?
Diabetes, endocrinology and
metabolism ?
Dietitian services ?
Ear, nose and throat
(otolaryngology) ?
Eye care ?
Gastroenterology ?
Geriatric medicine ?
Hematology (blood conditions and cancer) ?
Infectious disease ?
Maternal and fetal medicine (high-risk pregnancy care) ?
Mental health ?
Nephrology (kidney care) ?
Occupational medicine ?
Orthopedics ?
Physical medicine and
rehabilitation ?
Physical therapy ?
Plastic surgery ?
Podiatry (foot care) ?
Pulmonology (lung care) ?
Rheumatology (arthritis) ?
Sleep medicine ?
Speech therapy ?
Sports medicine ?
Surgery ?
Travel medicine ?
Urology ?
Vascular services ?
Weight loss surgery
(bariatrics) ?

admin answers:

and once your baby is born it’s pediatrics

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Leave a Reply